Arms of Châteauguay
UNITA FORTIOR "Stronger Because United", this is the motto that is featured on the coat of arms of the City of Châteauguay
Recalling the fusion of the three municipalities, it only appears on the stationary and some official documents from city hall.
A maple leaf, a lily and a crown of towers represent the three levels of government.
The band of blue and silver waves represents the waters of the Châteauguay River, Lake Saint-Louis and the Saint-Lawrence River.
The red chevron symbolises the protection provided by the knights, reminding us of our history as a fortified outpost (1677-1689).
The five leaves are from the coat of arms of the “Sieur” Le Moyne and the English military.
The green mound topped with a windmill represents Saint-Bernard Island; still the location of a masonry tower that is part of one of the oldest windmills in North America (1686-90).
The blades of the windmill in the shape of a cross recalls the work of Marguerite d'Youville and, traditionally, the road-side cross (historic events of 1838).
The sheaf of wheat and the serrated wheel portray the richness of the land and the movement, the momentum towards the future.