Taxation and municipal fees
Every year the municipality adopts a bylaw setting out the annual rate of taxation and applicable fees for water, the rental of meters, water purification as well as for the removal of garbage and recycling collection.
- Payment of the 2013 taxes on-line
- The 2013 budget
- PDF 2013 taxation bylaw
- PDF Bylaw setting out fees for municipal equipment and services
- PDF of the document that accompanies the 2012 tax bills
- Pre-authorized debit (DPA) at the deadline dates
- Pre-authorized debit agreement - Payor’s agreement for sporadic PAD’s
- To the owners of businesses and industries - Tax rates for the year 2013
There are also taxes for local improvements that vary depending on the borrowing bylaws adopted for infrastructure construction and that are divided according to the area defined on the construction plan. Each borrowing bylaw, including the taxation method, is sent to the Ministère des Affaires municipales et des Régions et de l'Occupation du territoire for approval.
The tax bills are mailed during the first week of January. Following a real estate transaction, the new owner does not receive a copy of the tax bill or account statement in his name. The purchaser must request a copy of his tax account for the current year from the notary or pick up a copy of the statement of account at the revenue department’s collection counter located in the city hall at 5 D’Youville boulevard in Châteauguay.
Not receiving your tax bill does not negate your obligation to pay your taxes by the dates stipulated. If a tax payer does not receive his municipal tax bill, he should contact the municipal revenue department at 450-698-3020 or send an e-mail to the following address: email@example.com
Consulting a Tax Account
It is possible to consult tax accounts by accessing the online assessment role at the following address, or by visiting the revenue department’s collection counter.
Methods of payment
Taxes can be paid in three instalments: the first must be paid in its entirety on or before the pre-established dates below. If your tax bill is less than or equal to $300, it is to be paid in one payment. No receipt is issued upon payment of taxes.
For 2013, the payment dates of the three instalments are as follows:
1st instalment:no later than February 6, 2013;
2nd instalment:no later than June 6, 2013;
3rd instalment:no later than September 10, 2013.
- In most financial institutions at the teller or banking machine.
- Electronically (Internet, telephone) by using the 18 digit registration number.
- Through your mortgage holder (if a mortgage holder is identified on your account, they are advised of the amount of tax to be paid).
- By mail by using the payment stubs that are attached to your invoice.
- At city hall: by cheque, Interac or cash.
- Pre-authorized debit agreement – at each installment date (form to be completed)
In order to avoid the waiting lines at the revenue department’s collection counter, we suggest that you use the method of payment at the teller or banking machine of most authorized financial institutions or mail cheques (first payment and other payments post-dated) to the City Hall, City of Châteauguay, 5 D'Youville boulevard, Châteauguay QC J6J 2P8.
The provisions of the law require respect for the payment dates or annual interest and penalties are applicable.
For any questions concerning your tax bill, we invite you to send an e-mail to the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Source: Revenue department 09/01/2012